An opportunity has arisen for interested candidates to join PTL Ltd as a Linux System Engineer to design, implement, maintain, and support the UNIX/Linux infrastructures of our growing customer base.
PTL is a long-established IT company providing enterprise-level IT solutions in Malta and it forms part of Harvest Technology plc. PTL partners major names like IBM, Cisco, Microsoft, Lenovo, and NCR. PTL has a team of more than 70 dynamic professionals, experts in business integration, enterprise-wide solutions and contracted outsourcing. PTL’s multi-disciplinary team services a prestigious client base in Malta, Europe and Africa. PTL is an equal opportunities employer.
Based in Malta, the chosen candidate will be part of the Technical Solutions team that is responsible for designing and developing scalable, maintainable, highly available IT architectures that meet business objectives and SLAs.
The role involves designing and implementing new solutions and improving the resilience of current environments, configuring and installing UNIX/Linux operating systems and services, and performing system maintenance and upgrades. The chosen candidate will monitor performance and ensure system availability and reliability, monitor system resource utilisation, trending, and capacity planning and provide Level-2/3 support and troubleshooting to resolve issues.
- Maintain and monitor in-house and customer’s UNIX/Linux infrastructures
- Install, configure, test and maintain operating systems and management tools
- Proactively ensure the highest levels of systems and infrastructure availability
- Maintain security, backup, and redundancy strategies, applying industry best practices
- Write and maintain custom scripts to increase system efficiency and lower the human intervention time on day-to-day tasks
- Participate in the design of information and operational support systems
- Provide 3rd level support
- Liaise with vendors and other IT personnel for problem identification, diagnosis, and problem resolution
- Assist in the presale functions by furnishing the technical components to a potential opportunity
- Create and maintain system documentation
The preferred candidate will possess at least 2 years of hands-on experience in installing, configuring, and troubleshooting UNIX/Linux and/or Windows based environments, experience in the administration and performance tuning of application stacks, and virtualisation. A solid understanding of monitoring systems and competence in shell/bash scripting will be considered an asset.
- Ability to install, configure, and troubleshoot Linux and/or Windows based environments
- LPIC, RHCSA, RHCE certification and/or equivalent
- Solid understanding of virtualisation
- Experience with VMware or Hyper-V virtualisation, administration and troubleshooting
- Experience with SAN Storages
- Understanding of high availability and redundancy concepts
- Sound knowledge of security requirements and ability to keep up-to-date with vulnerabilities and mitigation strategies.
What We Offer
A remuneration package commensurate to the applicant’s experience and ability to display aptitude shall be offered to the right candidate. Additional benefits include but are not limited to health insurance, free on-site parking facilities, on-site gym, employee wellness benefit, employee assistance programme, flexible working conditions, scholastic sponsorships and opportunities to obtain industry certifications, amongst others.
Applicants must send a detailed CV with a cover letter at [email protected] Applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.